Wednesday 4 March 2020

Shining the Light on Misdeeds Has Its Blessings


Volume 1, Issue No. 30
OPINION/COMMENTARY
/ News That Fears None, Views That Favor Nobody /

. . . . . A community service of The Filipino Web Channel (TheFilipinoWebChannel@gmail. com) and the Philippine Village Voice (PhilVoiceNews@gmail.com) for the information and understanding of Filipinos and the diverse communities in North America . . .

Our latest as of Wednesday, March 4, 2020 

~ The wish for an enlightened Filipino community, honestly-informed and actively participating in a healthy discussion of relevant issues, may be realized with the launch soon of an English-language newspaper named Periodico. It is not what existing Filipino publications are - that's its generic description - rather it is committed to the telling of the unvarnished truth, confrontational but considerate, dauntless but respectful. Periodico hopes to shine the light on tabloids and personalities masquerading as agents of change but are actually selfish protectors of wrongdoers. 

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  


PERIODICO

My Second Wind in Community Journalism


By ROMEO P. MARQUEZ 
Editor, The Filipino Web Channel


"Adversity introduces a man to himself". - Anonymous


TORONTO - This business of community journalism comes back like a second wind for me.

The feeling of being invigorated by a renewed sense of purpose has boosted me after being worn out for years trying to create awareness that I had thought might lead to a change in attitudes and outlook.

Giving up never crossed my mind, thanks in part to social media which open doors to many possibilities and enabled me to continue to pursue a personal and professional commitment to investigative journalism.

Losing a print outlet for my works had only strengthened my resolve. One man's threat is another man's dare, and that is how I viewed my exit from a local tabloid, my metaphorical home for one of the best chapters in my community journalism journey.

The big challenges are on the horizon. But rather than freak out, a burst of newfound energy kicks up a stronger, audacious and innovative second wind. 

Periodico, the newspaper supporters and I are launching soon in the Greater Toronto Area and other parts of Ontario, is my second wind. 

What it is, is the polar opposite of current and existing tabloids. I do not own it - let me be clear on that - I'm merely its editor given free rein to allow a voice to those with no means to articulate their truths and unconventional views.

That alone is freedom magnified many times. I did not realize I had made myself captive to ineptitude because of a belief I was serving the community at large. As it turned out, I was innocently protecting the greater interests of a few cronies, not mine, reason contrary viewpoints were stifled.

This second wind is truly a breath of fresh air. Not only do I feel resurgent, but a part of me experiences being transported back in time when from nothing I put up my own newspapers in California. That was my first wind in community journalism.

The circumstances leading up to that first venture in the United States were very much like what had happened in Toronto, i.e. my refusal to submit to censorship by people incapable of understanding journalism and its intricacies but who nonetheless had the money to fund the business.

I had to quit my editorship in San Diego rather than give in to my principals and created my own publications. It was different in Toronto. Defending the truth made a casualty of my job because the person who spoke it did not see eye to eye with the publisher.  

Soon after I was let go there were at least two offers to establish new newspapers. The latest, by Periodico, was actually the third. I can't believe that even with the online bashings and verbal attacks against me for writing exposés, there are others who believe and trust me.

So my departure from my previous employer was a blessing in disguise. Offers came and went notwithstanding the fact of my contentious reputation for shining the light on misdeeds by people we thought we could trust.

In January, I quietly celebrated my 10th year in Toronto. Seven of those years had been devoted to community journalism through print and social media (mainly YouTube). That that milestone occurred at the cusp of a new decade is portentous of a brand-new beginning.

Ushering Periodico is comparable to having a new addition to the family. There's the promise of a bright future, a hope for sunny days, and a wish for an enlightened community. (Copyright 2020. All Rights Reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment