Tuesday 22 February 2022

Mudslinging by Online Trolls

Volume 3, Issue No. 34
OPINION/COMMENTARY
/ News That Fears None, Views That Favor Nobody /

. . . . . A community service of The Filipino Web Channel (TheFilipinoWebChannel@gmail. com) and the Philippine Village Voice (PhilVoiceNews@gmail.com) for the information and understanding of Filipinos and the diverse communities in North America and beyond . . . . . .
 
Our latest as of Tuesday, February 22, 2022 

~ Many weeks have passed and the online pirates who stole film footage of past Taste of Manila events have gone into hiding, never saying a word nor showing any indication of contrition for what they did, and perhaps would continue to do the same in the future. Their political, financial, and community sponsors should realize by now that they were exploited by the usual suspects famed for their underhanded tactics. 

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 


THE FAILED 'VIRTUAL TASTE OF MANILA' 
Who Are the Online Pirates in This Venture?


By ROMEO P. MARQUEZ
Editor, The Filipino Web Channel




"Respect is more important than ratings, and that truthfulness and honesty and compassion and integrity are the traits that we must pursue in ourselves as much and as rigorously as we do in others". - Aida D'Orazio



TORONTO - As sure as night follows day, the troll squad launched its dark attacks right after my article and videos came out decrying the shameless misappropriation of film footage of my coverage of the Taste of Manila street festival years back.

The pilfered materials have been inserted with contents I could only surmise were stolen from other sources, remade into a virtual presentation, streamed on YouTube, and garnered views so negligible the people in there could be regretting their endorsement. (Video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_398v7dDQhQ).

The virtual Taste of Manila created by the usual suspects is an utter failure. Since it supposedly streamed live on January 8, 2022, it had only three (3) views. I was probably the fourth viewer, having been forced to click on it to be able to take a photo as evidence of wrongdoing.

But even as the numbers are worthless from a social media standpoint, the individuals responsible for this thievery must be held to account. Journalism has guidelines to observe and ethics to follow. And then there's copyright law to comply with.

I am reminded of what writer and journalist Aida D'Orazio told the local media in May 2011, thus: "respect is more important than ratings, and that truthfulness and honesty and compassion and integrity are the traits that we must pursue in ourselves as much and as rigorously as we do in others".

Incidentally, according to a writeup by retired teacher Tony San Juan published in this month's issue of Filipino Bulletin, Aida "has returned to God in eternal peace and happiness on January 15, 2022". Rest in peace, my friend. (Related video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGG67hUJw34).

The standard of journalism practice established by law and customs should be easy to adhere to unless one is an incontrovertible moron, the tall order an excuse to sidestep both professional and personal matters.

I demanded compensation for the unauthorized use, knowing fully well they earned money from unsuspecting sponsors through my labor. If that's not possible, I asked to be acknowledged as the source of the material and an apology for lifting contents without my express permission. None of this has materialized as of this writing.

I am not a stranger to these varying forms of plagiarism. The "virtual ToM" was not the first. Early on, two of my articles were pirated by people who hanker for the prestige of being called journalists but are too incompetent to be one.

For example, in 2014 I wrote for Balita and Waves newspapers an article about the singer Rey Valera after an interview with him in Toronto. That same article was plagiarized by a media outlet in California. (Video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZBGmBTxBzc).

Another was in 2016 when this so-called "Pahayagan" embellished my story and passed it off as its own. (The full story is at: https://www.balita.ca/torontos-pahayagan-newspaper-editor-apologizes-for-plagiarizing-story/ and the video is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0bHcFMP_o).

Lacking a sensible cause on which to anchor the situation the squad is in, the trolls in this group resort to their usual underground tactics, purveying old, recycled garbage to score points. Whatever those were do not intimidate me, never at any point at all!

My concern is not so much that I am, again, in the eye of their wrath as it is for those who might fall victim and believe the tall story of my personal and professional experiences in California nearly two decades ago.

I've grown immune from attacks of this nature. The worn-out tactic to pass rumors has lost currency a long time already. That they still resort to that only shows the lack of issues to confront me with. 

On the other hand, I am not wanting in the dirt about them to tough it out with them. What I have in my possession tempts me to wage a virulent smear campaign against them, tit for tat, and see how they can endure a protracted skirmish.

I fight above ground, face to face, man to man. I believe those who wage their personal battles in hiding are weaklings, and wimps who deserve my utmost contempt.

I practice what I preach, especially in the matter of transparency. I've adhered to my own newspaper (Diario Veritas) slogan "courage to say the truth" as a guide in journalism practice. (Related video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9vcuamfGCI).

"If journalism is good, it is controversial, by its nature," says Julian Assange, the editor, publisher, and WikiLeaks founder currently confined in a maximum-security prison in London, England. I believe him.

By the way, I covered his press appearance at the terrace of the Ecuadorian embassy building where he had sought refuge in the borough of Kensington and Chelsea in London in August 2012. The videos of that coverage are here: 1)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF-94qq7cZE; 2). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiPlBVYorRo; and 3). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZ51QmFHOA

The very nature of adversarial journalism I practice unavoidably invites critical responses. I am fine with that. But when such responses border on lies and mud-slinging I take a defensive stance and go into offense. 

I am not a punching bag. And if the trolls thought I am, that would be devastating for them. (Copyright 2022. All Rights Reserved).

No comments:

Post a Comment